Friday, December 01, 2006

Friday 8-Track

For no particular reason, this week's theme is The British Isles...but not England (too easy). I was going to include any and all fromer British provinces but could not think of any cool bands from the Faulklands.

Thin Lizzy - "The Boys Are Back In Town" - Jailbreak
[Ireland]

A few weeks back I mentioned something about starting a power pop band. Well, scratch that. Now it's going to be a hard-rocking band with lots of twin guitar leads. It seems like this is one of those "classic rock" songs that never waned in its badassedness. Great tune. Now, there are some people who would suggest that Thin Lizzy helped to usher in the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal. " If someone you know ever uses the term "New Wave of British Heavy Metal," you have my permission to punch that person in the face.

Big Country - "In A Big Country" - The Crossing
[Scotland]

"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" may be my favorite 80's song (the 80's as a genre, that is) but "In A Big Country" might be my favorite song from the 80's, period (except for maybe every track on 1984 but other than that...). It's amazing what you can accomplish with a couple of guitars, endless studio hours, and an MXR Pitch Transposer 129. The guitar work on this record is really quite an achievement.

My Bloody Valentine - "Blown A Wish" - Loveless
[Ireland]

If "In A Big Country" was an "achievement" then Loveless was a triumph. Often referenced as one of the "greatest albums of blah blah blah...", I don't find it as gripping as many of the albums I consider to be among the greats but as far as creating a truly unique sonic landscape it is unparalleled. I can't think of another album that actually reachs out from the speakers and envelops the listener.

Mclusky - "Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues" - Mclusky Do Dallas
[Wales]

Need I say more?

The Frames - "Star Star" - Dance the Devil
[Ireland]

This is a really pretty tune. A cool band with a varied set of styles I would liked to have seen them live. They suffered from comaprisons to U2 (is every Irish band compared to U2?) but I think were a lot edgier and thankfully lacked some of that overwrought earnestness.

Catatonia - "Road Rage" - International Velvet
[Wales]

Cerys Matthews is a hottie and that mumbly Welsh accent of hers just kills me. That's pretty much it.

The Pogues - "Body Of An American" - Rum Sodomy & the Lash [2005 Reissue Bonus Track]
[Ireland]

Shane McGowan resented Elvis Costello's methods as a producer but I think this album turned out pretty damn well. And what a great title. This song is a good example of the Pogue's Irish Folk-Punk which is a terribly reductive term for their unique brand of music but unfortunately I can't think of a better descriptor right now. It's good stuff.

Teenage Fanclub - "Alcoholiday" - Bandwagonesque
[Scotland]

They're giving the Wren a run for the title of Most Appearances In A Friday 8-Track, but what list of British Isles bands would be complete without Scotland's greatest pop band? "Went to bed, but I'm not ready. Baby I've been fucked already." Indeed.

5 Comments:

At 12/01/2006 1:18 PM, Anonymous Elizabeth said...

Are you using the phrase "The British Isles" as a geographic reference or a political reference? Because if it's the latter, I'm going to have to get my back up.

I also love "Big Country."

 
At 12/01/2006 1:33 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Yes Irish Miss, strictly geographical. I was not implying that the Republic in any way falls under the banner of the United Kingdom.

 
At 12/01/2006 4:42 PM, Blogger Ryane said...

I heart "In a Big Country". Ditto for Teenage Fanclub. But I could never get into Catatonia...

good list!

 
At 12/01/2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

I prefer the term Malvinas, as in "Las Malvinas son Argentina's"

 
At 12/04/2006 9:30 AM, Blogger Buffy said...

Gotta love the Welsh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home