Monday, November 21, 2005

Have I mentioned that I don't like Bright Eyes?

The WaPo offers a fawning review of Oberst's DAR performance on Friday night. Now it wouldn't be fair of me to chime in on the show seeing as I wasn't there, so I'll just opine on Bright Eyes in general: They(he) suck(s).

I unfortunately bought this album some time ago and found it to be one of the more underwhelming musical experiences I have had in a great while. Conor Oberst is allegedly some sort of indie-pop "freak-folk" genius but it seems I just don't get it. To me, the album sounds like an ADD artist who spent waaaaaay too much time in the studio and not enough time beforehand crafting decent pop songs. The result is a mish-mash of quirky instrumentalism splashed over some really bad high school poetry.

There already is someone from Nebraska making introspective pop music. Fortunately he knows how to write a good song. Take a lesson Conor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home