Tuesday, January 03, 2006

MMVI

It's the first post of 2006 so I thought I'd share my New Year's resolutions. I typically make them every year and follow through on them to varying degrees. I don't think there is too much groundbreaking material here:

Stop smoking. Everyone does this one. Now I wouldn't label myself a "smoker-smoker" but I casually smoke a lot when drinking with friends. Several people can attest to how many cartons I've bummed off of them over the years. I've said I was going to stop doing this for the last couple of years but for some reason it really feels like it this time. I don't know why I haven't done this in the past seeing as I don't have nic-fits or anything like that. I think I'm just a sucker for the romanticized image of smoking cigarettes over drinks and conversation in some dark dingey bar. Anyway, an end to that.

Hate less. Most everyone I know considers me to be a "hater" and it is a deserved reputation. I do this because it is a part of my cynical persona but I need to begin keeping much of my Hater Rhetoric to myself. I'm not saying there won't be occasions when the hater in me rears it's ugly head; otherwise I wouldn't be "me" anymore. But I will be less indiscriminate about it.

Become a better guitar player. I've been playing for so long now that I really have settled into a natural equilibrium. I haven't gotten any better (or worse) in a long time and I've grown far too content about that. It's time to start challenging myself again and play with some earnest instead of pointlessly fiddling as my mind wanders.

Give the ladies a chance. No more first-date edicts about how this one isn't going to work out because of A, B, C, and D. The slow play is the right play and it will do me a lot of good to stop making up my mind so quickly. (This in some ways ties in with hating less).

Have a good softball season. 'Nuff said.

So those are my goals and aspirations for 2006. Not unattainable but still respectable enough to feel like I've accomplished something come year's end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home