Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Bitter Single Guy?

...I hope not.

Several of my friends from high school and I still hang out on a very regular basis. In fact we sort of have an email distribution that we ping each other on all day about random nonsense. Well, one of our good friends who lives in San Diego is coming back into town for the week so I thought it might be a good idea to go to the Nats/Padres game next weekend followed by copious amounts of drinking somewhere on Cap Hill afterwards. I threw out the line to our distribution (which everyone usually reply-all's to) and everybody got on board.

Then I start receiving the single-reply follow-up emails from a couple of guys sheepishly asking me to get two tickets; one for him and one for his lady. Now I am certainly not anti-couple, in fact I have a lot of fun when I go out with my buddies and their significant others whose company I enjoy a great deal. But doesn't this type of activity implcitly suggest Guys Night Out? If the Mrs.'s are game to come out and have a good time I'm all for it but on these kinds of outtings (concerts and sporting events) the norm is that coupled people will come out for a little bit and then bail early. Which I find counterpoductive as the whole point of going out at night is to be out ALL night.

But maybe that's just me and either way, in an attempt to keep my dickishness to a minimum, I of course told these guys that I thought it would be great if they brought along their girlfriends.

4 Comments:

At 6/27/2006 1:59 PM, Blogger DCVita said...

Don't you hate when they do that? You can't very well say no, it is kind of a guy's night out thing....bc they will think that you are a 'bitter single guy' when in reality all you want to do is just have fun with the boys. It happens to women too.

 
At 6/27/2006 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am all for single-gendered evenings on occasion. However, I can recall many a concert when us old fogie coupled people have stayed out longer than you have. In fact, the only reason I'm up and reading this post is because we just got back from a show!

 
At 6/28/2006 7:52 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I am desperately trying to recall this fictional event. Oh wait; I remember now but in my defense it was a school night. (And you know you're always welcome at 99% of my orchestrated events.)

Speaking of shows, can I make a sweepingly ignorant statement and declare Panic at the Disco! to be not good?

 
At 6/28/2006 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No excuse - it was a school night for me too, but thanks for the reiterated invitation to most events.

Panic! review: Club hot. Crowd young. Case in point: cover of Smashing Pumpkins "Tonight, Tonight" was only known by half-dozen crowd members. Cover of "Karma Police" better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home