Friday, August 04, 2006

Friday 8-Track

Here are 8 good 'Fuck You' songs.

Ben Folds Five - "Song For The Dumped" - Whatever And Ever Amen
Yeah, yeah I know I had these guys and this album on last week but no list of 'Fuck You' songs can be complete without this one. It's angry, it's hilarious, and it's got a killer hook. Plus, who knew the line "Well fuck you too!!" could be so poetic?

Bob Dylan - "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
The condescending 'Fuck You' song. It sounds kind of sweet if you're not paying attention but really it's the snarky way of telling her to piss off. "You just kinda wasted my precious time."

Bob Mould - "The Receipt" - Modulate
When personality conflicts, drugs, and business shit break up a band, this is how you say 'Fuck You' to your old drummer many many years later.

The Eagles - "Already Gone" - On The Border
I think "woo hoo hoo" says it all. (And dig that modulation in the last chorus.)

Archers of Loaf - "Wrong" - Web In Front
The indie rock 'Fuck You' song replete with MBV-style guitar swirl and Mascis-style vocals.

Uncle Tupelo - "Give Back The Key To My Heart" - Anodyne
The alt-country 'Fuck You' song replete with fiddle and a coke reference.

Tupac Shakur - "Hit 'Em Up" - Greatest Hits
This has to be the angriest damn track I have ever heard and quite literally a 'Fuck You' song. I'd claim that it was all a lot of theatrical posturing but the guy was maybe shot dead by the people he called out in this song? Thug life.

The Soft Boys - "I Wanna Destroy You" - Underwater Moonlight
Also a playlist veteran but you can't deny the rage and the rock of this song. Another example of how a great hook and awesome high harmonies can get your head bobbing to almost any lyric.

4 Comments:

At 8/04/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger Ryane said...

Cake's version of, "I Will Survive" is pretty good, Fuck You! material...

 
At 8/04/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger dara said...

I always think of Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" for breakup songs. I don't know why.

Love, love, love "Song for the Dumped" -- the line "And don't forget my black T-Shirt" cracks me up every time.

 
At 8/04/2006 12:42 PM, Blogger DC Super Powers said...

"Give me my money back, you bitch" ALWAYS makes me smile. It can go either way. Damn, how did I always end up paying for my broke-ass boyfriends?
Thanks for the great 8-Track!

 
At 8/05/2006 1:08 PM, Blogger Jawn said...

So, you finally discovered the Archers of Loaf. Nice! Go Loaf!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home