Thursday, January 25, 2007

Friday 8-Track

I'm running short on themes of late so this week is yet another random mix. I'm open to thematic suggestions for next week.

Camper Van Beethoven - "Sut Us Down" - Camper Van Beethoven

A truly weird band that is all over the map, stylistically, but had some really cool moments. I caught one of their reunion shows shortly after Joe Strummer died where they did a bitchin' countrified version of "White Riot." Excellent. But this tune is one of my favorite songs of theirs that is their own punk~ish anthem. "You better shut us down."

Radiohead - "Bones" - The Bends

I'm gonna save a little energy here by not repeating my Radiohead screed for the umpteenth time -- but here's the Reader's Digest version. Is this their best album? Yes. Is it a crowning achievement in loud shoegazer rock? Absolutlely. Is it...you get the point. As for "Bones," it's got the chimey guitars and huge hits that put this album in my all-time Top 5. "I used to fly like Peter Pan!!"


The Pretenders - "Talk of the Town" - Pretenders II

Oh Chrissie Hynde. You wreck me baby, yeah, you break me in two. Before I wander off to take a cold shower I will say that this is my second-favorite Pretenders tune. Hynde is a really great songwriter who came up with some great hooks coupled with strong lyrics. I remember a Pernice Brothers show at IOTA where they had just finished a tour in support of The Pretenders. In honor of that they played a great cover of this song that capped off a really intimate show. Good stuff.

Doves - "Pounding" - The Last Broadcast

A song that starts in your gut, moves up your body, and ends in an absolute head rush. After you hear it, you become addicted and like Pavlov's dogs will immediately respond to the crashes in the intro. I love the fact that the song is called "Pounding" and its drum part is a straight pounding downstroke on every beat. Ahh, simplicity.

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Walking to Do" - Shake the Sheets

I cannot wait for this show in March. Talk about a release. This album took a few listens to grow on me and now I am convinced that it is his best to date. Yes, even better than Hearts of Oak. This particular tune is a nice closer to the album and has some great sing-along moments live. "Rock Creek Park, to The Ave. and on past the zoo..."

Guided By Voices - "I Am A Tree" - Mag Earwhig

Doug Gillard, you are the man and I bow to your wailing Les Paul. The one song that you wrote that actually made it onto a GBV album and the song (well, second song) that hooked me on the band. Thank you for being one of the coolest musicians I have ever met. And what a fucking solo!

Rolling Stones - "Tumbling Dice" - Exile On Main St.

For whatever reason, this week's list is being somewhat inspired by a number of covers I have had the pleasure and surprise of hearing done by some of my favortie bands. During the encore from the only time I saw Son Volt, they performed a rollicking version of this song along with The Continental Drifters. Just a good straight rock song with those classic open-G riffs and a deep, deep juke-joint groove. Dig that lazy backbeat.

Sloan - "Money City Maniacs" - 4 Nights at the Palais Royale

I have no idea what this song is about. "And the joke is, when he awoke his, body was covered in Coke fizz." But that don't matter because it straight rocks -- especially this live version. Who doesn't love to shout along? "Hey you!!!" Rock and roll can save your life.

--- and as promised, the make-up track from last week ---

Tower of Power - "What is Hip?" - Tower of Power

Here is a track that will definitely get your ass moving. I wonder why it is you don't here really good songs with horns anymore? Lenny Pickett of SNL fame breaks out on this album but what gets me most i sthe double-stop sixteenth notes of Rocco Prestia. I have never heard anything so tight yet with clear tone. Between the bass and the drums, the rhythm section propels this tune into some hardcore funk. (Bonus points if you know in which sitcom this song was used for a musical montage.)

7 Comments:

At 1/26/2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Red Photography said...

Yeah for Ted Leo. (and his band of po-mos)

 
At 1/26/2007 10:20 AM, Blogger Carrie M said...

i'm so not cool so i don't know most of the bands you mentioned, but i will chime in with the fact that the bends is definitely the beset radiohead album, and that peter pan line is my favorite!

 
At 1/26/2007 11:39 AM, Blogger Ryane said...

I love that Radiohead a.album b.song...and yesyesyes--that is a great Pretender's song. I think for not having a theme, that's a pretty kick-ass list.

 
At 1/26/2007 12:57 PM, Blogger dara said...

I take back what I said on Ryane's blog. When I grow up, I want to be Chrissie Hynde. She even made a bad haircut look good.

 
At 1/26/2007 1:46 PM, Blogger DCVita said...

I am with Ryane. That Radiohead album is one of my faves of all time. This is a GREAT Friday- 8 track. Good job!

 
At 1/26/2007 4:00 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

"Bones" and "Pounding" are two of my favorite songs. Right on! And I keep meaning to get some Ted Leo since I saw him/them open for Death Cab in November and really enjoyed it-- always good to get recommendations.

 
At 1/26/2007 4:16 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Alright, the yay's have it. Was trying to think of something to dump onto my mp3 player to take to the gym today...the entirety of The Bends it is.

Well, I'm glad that the punting once again of the 8-Track was well received. I'll actually sit down and work on something for next week.

As for Ted Leo, I am a HUGE fan. I recommend that every aspiring hipster acquire both Hearts of Oak and Shake the Sheets (we'll worry about Tyranny of Distance later) and then get thee to the next show.

P.S. - Excellent assessment of Ms. Hynde, Dara. Who else could have pulled that off?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home