Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday 1-Track

Moving is a bitch. Both my mother and my sister take sadistic pleasure in my everyday procrastination -- knowing that the movers show up tomorrow morning they keep calling me every night to ask how many boxes I've packed. My usual response is, "I've packed enough. Don't worry about it." Then I look around at my remaining possessions scattered everywhere and realize how close to fucked I am. I am standing tits-deep in boxes but I still haven't even considered how I am going to pack my clothes, linens, cooking accessories, dried goods, and cleaning supplies. It's going to be a long night.

So why am I rambling on about this? As an excuse for not having even thought about putting together a playlist for this week. This is the best I could do on limited time and brain power.

Bob Mould - "Moving Trucks" - The Last Dog and Pony Show

This was supposed to be the last album of its kind and the last big electric tour. Included with the album is a 30-minute interview with Bob in which he explains how it has been a long journey and he feels a little too old and ridiculous to keep putting on monstrously loud rock shows. With that in mind he was going to do one last tour with the big rig and then focus on songwriting and performances that were a little less bombastic (hence the album title). Fortunately the notion didn't stick for too long and he showed up to the 9:30 Club almost 18 months ago to put on one of the more exhilarating rock shows I had seen in a while. But back to this album. It almost feels like he was pouring every last bit of his "old style" into these songs to put a close to that period of his career. This track is one of the best on the album with its driving pace, droning open chords (thanks for showing me the chord changes Jawny!), big hooks, and anthemic coda:
Today is the day I forget about it / It's over, don't worry about it
Today I can open the window / Today is the day I can fly
Today I am starting the rest of my life / Today, I can touch the sky
And I can leave that beeping sound of that truck behind

Damn this song rocks! Now I wish I hadn't packed up all of my CD's. I need to download that shit...

8 Comments:

At 2/23/2007 11:09 AM, Blogger Carrie M said...

call up your friends and call in any moving favors you have. grab, wrap, and pack. if you have clothes on hangers, then just take big armfuls when you move, that's the best way to do it, i've found. you just gotta soldier through!!

 
At 2/23/2007 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree...I have found the best way to move is to continue to procrastinate until the last possible moment with non-essential-and-yet-way-more-interesting-things. For example, what do you think of the new Guns N Roses song? I actually turned it off 30 seconds into it--for something 12 years in the making, I thought it would be less screeching...

 
At 2/23/2007 12:20 PM, Blogger Ryane said...

yeah, either that or be prepared to pay the movers a lot more money. They will pack up your other stuff, but it'll cost you. On the other hand, you can procrastinate all night long...!

 
At 2/23/2007 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tits, or someone else's? I'm just trying to get a visual here. Help a sister out.

 
At 2/23/2007 2:32 PM, Blogger Red Photography said...

Are you moving within the area? Or far away?

 
At 2/23/2007 2:53 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I'll finish at some point tonight (the last possible moment). I'll be leaving work soon to dig out the LDAP album and start crankin' so let's hope I can find some motivation.

Only my tits in the Fortress of Solitude.

A tiny part of me wishes I was moving far away. Budapest, Vienna, or the Dalmation Coast would be nice. However according to Google Maps I will be traversing a scant 1.9 miles.

 
At 2/25/2007 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1.9 miles... I trust that is closer to both the "money" Teeter and the coffer establishment!

 
At 2/25/2007 2:10 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Indeed it is, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home