Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Bonnaroo = Boring

I just read that both Radiohead and Tom Petty will be "headlining" this year's Bonnaroo Festival. I am anti-festival to begin with because the sets are short and vanilla, the sound is always awful, and they're riddled with high school kids looking for an open venue to consume weed and X. But that's a rant for another day.

Today is Bonnaroo specific and I must say I can't think of a moring choice of acts to sign on for top-billing. I saw Tom Petty at the Patriot Center during my junior year of high school. It was awesome...and a long time ago. In the many many years since I like to think that my tastes are are a little more defined and in 2006 I don't see a need for "legacy acts" like Petty anymore. As for Radiohead, I need to control myself because I could go on for days.

They were the coolest band in the world in 1997 but it's been a long time and several shitty shitty albums since then. If they promised not play anything after the first half of OK Computer I would be all over it. But the reality is that Bonnarro attendees will be treated to 12 hours of standing in the mud waiting for the main act only to suffer through a meandering set of Tom Yorke's catterwalling over Moog experiments. No thank you.

Not that I would attend but I say this to the Bonnaroo bookers (much like I wanted to ask the DNC in 2004), is this the best you could come up with?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home