Monday, January 23, 2006

Back to School

Today is the first day of classes for the spring semester. I'm trying to reconcile the fact that a good chunks of my weekends are shot between now and May. Not that I'm complaining. Right now, cutting out of work early to go to class beats the hell out of being stuck in the office for the rest of the day.

In general I'm excited for a new semester because I think the courses will be challenging and potentially rewarding in terms of work in the future. But I sometimes wonder if my desire to learn this material has more to do with how difficult it is rather than a deep genuine interest. There is a part of me that wants to do well just so I can say that "I know all there is to know about statistical communication theory. Would you like me to design a satellite uplink for you?"

If you can't be the smartest person in the room you can still be the most knowledeable or well-read. Then you can dazzle 'em with bullshit and come off like the King of the Mountain. I go to school because it makes me feel like a Man. How weak is that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home