Thursday, July 13, 2006

Voice over Data

Text messaging; a tempting but potentially dangerous cellular feature. I've at times been guilty of being emboldened by the emotional distance it creates and transmitted some ill-advised messages to various parties. But these instances usually occurred late at night/early in the morning and were in every case, alcohol-fueled. I can however proudly admit that I have never asked anyone out via text message...which is exactly what a buddy of mine did last night. Why?

In his defense, I think he is uber-intimidated by this young lady he recently met. Apparently she is very driven, Harvard-educated, probably Type A and because he is not these things, I think he's already written her off as incompatible. He just met her this past weekend and they seemed to hit it off and made plans to get in touch about a golf date this weekend (a mutual interest). So when he told me that instead of calling her last night he texted her, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed.

No surprise that he has not heard back yet. I mean, put yourself in her shoes. What would you do if you met someone, gave this person your number, and he/she got in touch with you via a 3-sentence text message? (Jesus, I hope it wasn't written in Abbreviated Text; "how r u?") I lack a lot of stones when it comes to approaching women but even I know that texting some girl is a surefire way to come off as noncommittal, uninterested, or even worse, soft. Boo.

5 Comments:

At 7/13/2006 4:32 PM, Blogger DCVita said...

Wow! Text message? That's almost as bad as doing it on Myspace. I agree with you. I know that some women can be intimidating, but women LOVE when a man is confident enough to approach them with gutso! If you ask me for my number, I will give it to you bc you had the balls to ask. I know it ain't easy but you have already proved to be more of a man..bc let's face it, there are so many different ways to ask someone out now, that hardly anyone does it the old fashioned way anymore.

I personally would not respond to a text message.

 
At 7/14/2006 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go out with a guy who texted me the offer either and I agree with the earlier poster...if you take the risk and ask, I am much more likely to give you my number.

 
At 7/14/2006 10:34 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Well, he finally made the call but hasn't heard anything back (as of last night). After a bit of grilling he did admit to making a serious error but I think he learned a good lesson. If at one point I would have ever even considered doing that, now there is zippy chance. It's all about the phone call.

 
At 7/17/2006 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, please tell him that that he should not be intimidated by a Harvard education (and I am not saying that he is). But, as a Harvard educated female (and there is no way to say that without sounding like a tool but there it is) there is nothing I hate more than a man that freaks out when he hears it. What a silly thing to be put off by. But the H-Bomb has killed many a potential relationship for me. I agree with dcvita, go for the gusto. And not text. I had a guy leave my apartment the other night and send me a text that said "We should date." We are not dating.

PS- Have you thought about moving into DC? I always shudder when I think of living in VA. (Your reader in LA)

 
At 7/17/2006 10:09 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I have a good friend who is a doctor that studied pre-med at Harvard. He says that there is no way to tell someone you are a doctor and went Harvard without sounding like an asshole. I contend that is a good problem to have.

Ah, to move into DC. If I weren't so automobile-dependant and didn't enjoy living by myself while not paying a king's ransom in rent, I would. But who knows, I may end up across the river just yet.

"We should date." I love it. That was ballsy...idiotic, but ballsy. Nice to hear from you again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home