Friday, November 17, 2006

Friday 8-Track

Since the Friday 8-Track will be off for the holidays next week, I'm gonna go ahead and do a Thanksgiving list this week. Jesus, I am definitely reaching on these tracks. They really have little or nothing to do with Thanksgiving but I had to give it a shot. So, as a bonus I am will incorporate a little contest into this week's installment. The first person to identify each of the alleged Thanksgiving thematic elements for all 8 songs will be the proud winner of the two Friday 8-Tracks of his or her choice which will be made avilable for download. Good luck.

Dave Matthews Band - "Tripping Billies" - Remember Two Things

I was waaaaay into DMB in college. I traded tapes, slept in the student center for tickets, and spent a lot of time trying to learn every song they ever played. This is one of the songs that completely hooked me on the band. Still in my jazz and jam band phase I was captivated by the mix of energy, strong pop hooks, and improvisational playing. As the band got stale I grew out of that phase, I guess, but this song still takes me back.

Paul Simon - "American Tune" - There Goes Rhymin' Simon

This one should be a gimme. Not one of my favorite Paul Simon tunes but it is an appropriate fit for the Thanksgiving mix. Can you believe he married Edie Brickell? What I am...

R.E.M. - "Begin the Begin" - Life's Rich Pageant

Peter Buck's jangley Rickenbacker 360 is probably one of the most identifiable sounds of 80's college radio. I think he deserves more credit for taking his somewhat limited guitar skills and stretching them across a great run of albums, including this one. "Begin the Begin" is a perfect example of Buck's mix of Byrds-y jangle and post-punk wail.

They Might Be Giants - "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" - Flood

One of the coolest covers ever just happens to be one of the geekiest songs performed by the geekiest of bands. Birdhouse is definitely the best song on this album, but Istanbul runs a close second. I still chuckle when I hear it.

Steely Dan - "Black Friday" - Katy Lied

This song kicks ass. Dig that keyboard intro and shuffle beat. " Gonna let the world pass by me. The Archbishop's gonna sanctify me. And if he don't come across I'm gonna let it roll."

Built To Spill - "Cortez the Killer" - Live

20 minutes of indie rock guitar wankery. This song is absolutely brutal live but you gotta appreciate Doug for going for it. This wouldn't have been my first choice of Neil Young tunes to cover but that's why Doug's the man and I am not.

Sly & the Family Stone - "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" - Greatest Hits

I would be hard-pressed to come up with another band that grooved as hard as Sly & the Family Stone. I would rank their performance along with Alvin Lee's (Ten Years After) and Santana's as the best of Woodstock. Larry Graham slaps and pops his bass all over this track. I dare you not to dance.

Rush - "Tom Sawyer" - Moving Pictures

I love Rush. They are every dork's favorite rock band and you can see it at a show where the crowd is comprised mainly of Trek fans and metal-heads who like to play D&D. Seeing them play the entirety of 2112 live is up there as one of my top concert experiences. Anyway, this is one of my least favorite songs of theirs but I am desperately reaching for Thanksgiving "themes."

Well that's all of 'em. Some references are obvious while the others are ridiculously thin. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

At 11/17/2006 8:21 AM, Blogger Ryane said...

oooohhhhwwwwwwwwwww...hey, there are some seroiusly good songs on here. I don't know all of the Thanksgiving references--'Black Friday' is obvious. I love Rush, and should know that reference, but it is eluding me...ditto for Dave Matthews. Will you tell us the answers if no one gets them?

 
At 11/17/2006 10:26 AM, Blogger Jason said...

But of course. However you really need to stretch to get some of these references as they are weak. I'll be impressed by whomever gets the R.E.M. one and the Rush one is so lame I may issue a pass on it...consider it the center BINGO square.

 
At 11/17/2006 10:27 AM, Blogger Red Photography said...

If any song could possibly personify the 9th grade for me it would be Instanbul by TMBG. Still love it because it reminds me of the time I learned to embrace my geekiness and no longer care that I wasn't one of the cool kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home