Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Pin Drop's Echo

No matter how many times I go to the Birchmere, at every visit I am amazed by the quality of sound in that room. The venue mainly treads in singer-songwriter acoustic-types and the room is perfectly suited for it. When plugged in, the vocals are clear and true and sound as if someone is singing in your ear. And the acoustic guitars are warm and bright yet don't have those tinny, abrasive high-ends that are the hallmark of every MTV Unplugged episode. But here's what's really special. When a performer is truly "unplugged" (unamplified) and sitting on the front of the stage strumming and singing into the air, as Josh Ritter did last night peforming the Everly Brothers' "I've Been Cheated" with an acoustic guitar and his opening act singing harmony, you can still hear every tone, every warble, and every word. That room got deathly silent and as they repeated the closing lyric, ever softer each time, it was still clear as crystal. Amazing.

To say that I simply enjoyed the show last night would be an understatement; there's something about the lone singer-songwriter. I've gone back-and-forth on my apprectiation of the One Man Act over time. On the one hand, I love the sound and the fury of a rock 'n roll show. I play the electric guitar and adore it for its flexibility and variability; the way its tones can be variegated by complex electronics or simple touch. The creamy sound of an overdriven vacuum tube or the howling whine of the Larsen effect that can actually be "pushed" to resolve into a scale tone, these are some of the most exciting things about music for me. Yes it is Freudian, yes it is phallic, and yes (at times) it is all about the size of my soundwave. But isn't that what rock 'n roll is about: the id unleashed.

However there is something to be said for stripping the entire facade away until it is just wood, steel, and the human voice -- and of course the song has to be there as well. So when it is, it gives me pause to think that maybe there is something to be said for the notion of one man, one guitar, one song. That is probably why generations less cynical than ours believed that Springsteen could change their lives or Dylan could change the world. It's silly and naive, but I can empathize. Good show last night.

6 Comments:

At 1/30/2007 9:24 AM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I don't have anything insightful to add, but I liked this post.

 
At 1/30/2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Carrie M said...

i'm digging the post as well b/c i agree with you on the two main points: 1, that the birchmere is a great place to listen to music, and 2, the one man show is awesome. the artist and band that fulfill both of those requirements in that they've played the birchmere and i've enjoyed the one man show (at another venue): bob schneider.

if you decide to download bob schneider, let me know - i don't want you getting some of the crap that got recorded on his albums (better live).

 
At 1/30/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I've got to say that I bought Lonelyland unheard, strictly on the recommendation of a friend with excellent taste. It was quite a disappointment but perhaps I owe it at least one more spin -- I hardly gave it a fair shake.

 
At 1/30/2007 11:48 AM, Blogger Carrie M said...

seriously? what don't you like about Lonelyland, as that's definitely his best recorded album. my favorite tracks on that album are "Big Blue Sea", "Tokyo", and "King of the World" although you might not have that last one b/c that was on the Texas edition.

Bob has almost any kind of song a person could think of - jazz, country, blues, rap, whatever. So it depends on your taste, but I bet there's something you would like...

 
At 1/31/2007 7:37 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I'll certainly give it another spin. As for what I recall not digging about it...I just get mean when describing why some piece of music didn't move me so I'll just leave it at that.

 
At 1/31/2007 9:47 AM, Blogger Carrie M said...

LOL gotcha. but seriously, he's got so many different bands and kinds of songs, The Scabs being my favorite. anyone who has a song called Big Butts and Blow Jobs is alright by me. if you decide that you're into Bob a little bit, let me know and I'll burn you some stuff. i'm all about spreading the word of Bob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home