Friday, October 07, 2005

The Return of The Rock

It's like Christmas morning. No it's like Christmas Eve. Wait, it's like the hours just before the midnight release of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set. Yes, I'm that excited.

Tonight is Bob Mould's show at the 9:30 Club, the night when he will forsake all of his comments about giving up The Rock and and retiring the big nasty guitar rig. Tonight I may reach nirvana. What's so thrilling for me is that Bob will be "reclaiming" all of his work from the past 20+ years and putting it on display. The particulatly nice aspect of this is that I will finally get to almost experience what it was like to see Sugar 13 years ago when they toured in support of Copper Blue, one of the finest power-pop/guitar-rock/whatever albums ever put to wax.

I was too young and too pop-oriented to be a Husker Du fan and not cool enough or sufficently aware to be into Sugar at their height, but I know now. And tonight finally, after several instances of seeing Bob come close to the real thing at his solo shows, I get to see the man in front of a band, plugged-in, amps dialed-up, and ready to rock. I hope my ears don't fall off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home