Friday, April 28, 2006

Blue Canary

On Wednesday night I saw They Might Be Giants at the 9:30 Club. It was only the second time I had seen them and the show was surprisingly packed. A near sellout I would guess. The band is a lot of fun and my roommate is a huge fan so it's amusing to see him getting fired up for some of the really old material they pulled out that night. One of the cool things about a TMBG show is the crowd; it is so typically un-rock n' roll. My roommate refers to the crowd as " a bunch of dorks just having a good time." I think that sums it up nicely.

The main reason I wrote about the show today is because my favorite TMBG tune, "Birdhouse In Your Soul," has been running through my head almost constantly. It's a fan favorite, comes off great live, and they played it magnificently on Wednesday. The more I hear it I am more and more convinced that it may be a truly brilliant pop song. The combination of the song's strange lyric imagery, the circular/modal progression of the verses, and the big big hook in the chorus add up to something almost sublime. The first time I heard the song I was almost confused by the opening minute and then when that chorus came in I was just so...happy. That's one of the few songs I can actually remember hearing for the first time.

If you've never heard it, do yourself a favor and check it out and play it LOUD.

1 Comments:

At 4/28/2006 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't remember hearing songs for the first time often? That's one of the holds that music has over me - when I hear a song, it takes me back to the time and place I first heard it. For "Birdhouse in Your Soul," it takes me back to my friend Rebecca's house, who got the tape from her older sister, seventh grade sleepovers. We liked Rebecca's house because we could watch all the TV we wanted and the fridge was massively stocked. Simple pleasures of too much iced tea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home