Friday, September 08, 2006

Friday 8-Track (abridged)

The rock n' roll lifestyle has left me tired and short on ideas today. In other words, I'm punting. Therefore today's theme is an easy one, More Shit That Rocks, and I'll crank out as many as I can -- probably much less than 8.

The Toadies - "Possum Kingdom" - Rubberneck

A very cool song with an off-center guitar riff and a nice hook. There was a guy who lived on my freshman hall and would would randomly stick his head in my room and scream the chorus, "Do you wanna die!?!?" I wonder what became of Dave.

Ozzy Osbourne - "Flying High Again" - Diary of a Madman

This song is basically "Crazy Train" Part II but it still kicks ass. Randy Rhoads really shows his stuff on this one when he breaks into some classically-inspired arpeggiated shredding towards the end. Meanwhile Ozzy is his usual puckish self, "Momma's gonna worry. I been a bad abd boy."

Queen w/ David Bowie and Annie Lennox - "Under Pressure" - The Freddy Mercury Tribute [DVD]

Unfortunately my propensity to hyperbolize will likely soften the blow of this statement but: This is one of the best rock songs. Ever. The tune speaks for itself however this particular version is always in the back of my mind. I remember watching this concert on TV when it aired in '92 and along with Robert Plant's rendition of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," I thought this was a show highlight. Annie Lennox is wonderful and her performance of Freddy Mercury's part is the perfect complement to David Bowie. Dig that high wail that bleeds into Bowie's part on the bridge, "Insanity laughs, under pressure we're cracking."

Dropkick Murphy's - "Tessie" - Tessie [5 Song CD Single]

The punk counterpart to John Fogerty's "Centerfield," this song has once again become a rally cry for BoSox fans 100 years later. While their schtick can get old fast, The Murphy's are a cool band and this is a fun song. It gets me pscyhed for our fall softball season.

Social Distortion - "I Was Wrong" - White Light, White Heat, White Trash

This is classic Mike Ness catharsizing (yes, I just coined that word) all of the shit from his life before Social D. This one should always be played LOUD.

That's it. I'm crapped out. I'm surprised that I even made it to 5. Next week: Guilty Pleasures Workout Mix.

2 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger dara said...

Love the Toadies and Ozzy, but for me, it's all about the Social Distortion.

And, for the record, despite your change to the blogger beta, I have no problem posting my comments. They just look a little funny.

 
At 9/08/2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I can't stand Social D...but I'm right behind the Ozzy and Toadies nominations...

~Ryane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home