Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Misplaced Priorities

In yet another brazen acquiescence to my personal priorities (over my seemingly more important professional ones) I cancelled my weekly "status meeting" with the explanation that I had an unavoidable conflict. Which is true. I am very conflicted. I hold my meetings at 10:30am every Tuesday to make sure everyone working the program is on the same page and since things are slow right now the weeklys have become more a formality than anything else -- yet one more reason as to why I am desperate to find a new job. But that isn't what we are here to to talk about today.

One dumb thing about holding meetings on a Tuesday, if you happen to be pathetically media-obsessed, is that Tuesday is national release day for new albums and DVD's. Today's release is especially important because this is now finally available to the viewing public.

That's right the original unaltered, unedited, un-ruined Star Wars Trilogy in DVD format. Fans have begged for years for this release and Lucas finally gave in, but not without a little "fuck you" to everyone that has called him a megalomaniacal lunatic over the pas ten years. Instead of giving us the beautifully restored version released on DVD two years ago with a new 5.1 surround mix -- a version that contained all of the blasphemies from the "Special Edition" release -- all we get is a DVD dump of the Laserdic release from the 80's with its Dolby 2-channel mix. But I will take it. And since Best Buy is carrying a limited run of The Trilogy bundled together in a special "collector's" tin, I have to be there before the store opens at 10am thus conflicting with my weekly status meeting. Fortunately for me no one around here is too nosey and I did not have to make up a lie about a doctor's appointment.

All told, after this morning I will now own four different sets of the Holy Trilogy in various formats and versions. And my mother wonders why I am still single...

5 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 9:54 AM, Blogger dara said...

I was thinking about buying this today, too. I have the last DVD release, which was purchased for me as a birthday gift two years ago. I used to have the videos, but I just got rid of them, as part of my upgrade-everything-to-DVD-project earlier this summer.

I'm still not convinced I won't buy it, but at least I'm not going to do it today.

 
At 9/12/2006 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait. Star Wars is available on DVD??


hahahahahahaa. I kid. I thought about buying this, as well, but since I haven't purchased a DVD since..well--ever--I guess the chances of my getting around to it are pretty slim. Will you ever actually watch the old versions, when you have the fancy new ones?

~ryane

 
At 9/12/2006 2:27 PM, Blogger Jason said...

As a completist, I will never disopes of my Star Wars videos.

That is all I will watch...probably. The opportunity to see Greedo firing first in DVD format is all I have ever wanted. I am a man of simple needs.

 
At 9/12/2006 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Greedo first in DVD format'
hahahahahahaha.

That is pure, unadulterated, Star Wars love.

 
At 9/13/2006 8:15 AM, Blogger Jason said...

No kidding, right? Actually I watched some of A New Hope last night and I did gleefully smile as Han fired first. It was so good to see him rightfully returned to his status as supreme badass.

Greedo firing first, what a blasphemy that was. The world is right again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home