Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday 8-Track

I did not think about this at all this week so I am short on ideas. I am therefore phoning it in. Today's theme is loosley manliness or maybe male characters or I don't know what. I just wanted an excuse to include "Mannish Boy."

Muddy Waters - "Mannish Boy" - The Real Folk Blues

You know the riff. You know the song. Remember the scene in Risky Business where Tom Cruise puts on the shades and tosses a cigarette in his mouth? That's the song. What really makes this record is all the hootin' and hollarin' in the background.

Spencer Davis Group - "I'm A Man" - I'm A Man

The intro to this tune is so badass. Steve Windwood's screaming Hammond B-3 and scratchy vocals pretty much embody the lyrics. I cannot believe the guy was a teenager when he was with this band. Follow this career arc; Spencer Davis Group to Blind Faith to Traffic to "Higher Love" -- what the hell happened?

AC/DC - "Big Balls" - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

I think this song speaks quite well for itself.

Steely Dan - "Kid Charlemagne" - Royal Scam

Cool story about a flamboyant dope-peddler. Maybe he was a pimp too? I would say this is one of the definitive Steely Dan tracks with a great guitar solo courtesy of Mr. Larry Carlton.

Modest Mouse - "Cowboy Dan" - Lonesome Crowded West

This song is fucking out there.

The Smiths - "This Charming Man" - The Smiths

This is perhaps about a spoiled fop? Who knows. It seems that many people fall into one of two camps when it comes to The Smiths; Morrisey or Johnny Marr. I'm a Johnny Marr fan. The guitar work on this record, like all Smiths tunes, is wholly original.

Sun Kil Moon - "Glen Tipton" - Ghosts of the Great Highway

A great dark tune -- which pretty much sums up everything Mark Kozelek writes -- this one is bizarre if only because it paints Judas Priest guitarist, Glen Tipton, as a musical outlaw. This song is depressingly beautiful.

The Replacements - "Alex Chilton" - Pleased To Meet Me

This may be making a repeat appearance but I am tapped out and therefore issue myself a pass. I love, love, love this song. Probably my favorite Mats song, it is an ode to Big Star bandleader Alex Chilton. If you are ever in a snotty pretentious music conversation about some band you have never heard of, just say "I'm not that into it. They just make me think of Big Star redux." Conversation over. You win.

1 Comments:

At 10/06/2006 12:28 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

This might fit:

Brown-eyed Handsome Man by Nina Simone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home