Friday, September 29, 2006

Filthy Lucre

I submitted my two weeks notice today with a lot of relief and a twinge of regret. I am very excited about my new job -- I am in desperate need of a shot in the arm -- but there are a lot of things about, and especially people from, this job that I will miss.

15 minutes ago I almost caved. The head of our division brought me into his office and dangled a 25% raise in front of me if I agreed to stay. My jaw hit the floor. It is so nice to be loved the way a desperate trick craves his whore. And I almost sold my body...emptied my soul to fill my wallet. But I stood strong and realized that the utter hopelessness that plagues my workplace would not be solved by a higher paychek. I am overpaid and overfed as it is. Now I can be happy again too.

Man I could have used that money...

3 Comments:

At 9/29/2006 11:39 AM, Blogger dara said...

Wow. I can't imagine turning down a 25% raise. Then again, I have already sold my soul to the devil for a higher paycheck.

All the CD's and shoes I can now buy don't make up for the fact that most days, I loathe what I'm doing.

It's never worth it.

 
At 9/29/2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Thank you for that.

 
At 9/29/2006 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, I agree w/Dara. It is never, ever worth it. How much happier will you be when you are making 25% more, and still not at that job??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home