Monday, September 25, 2006

Freewheeling

I am currently on what I hope is my last boondoggle for work. It's not so bad but I would rather be at home. However I am trying to make the most of it by eating a lot of bison and catching as many Rockies games as possible. Anyway, air travel cause my mind to run like a meth addict so I decided to just start blogging some of my truly random thoughts.

The New York Times. I have rather capriciously decided that I do not like people who live in DC and read the NYT. It's one thing to pick up a copy every now and again or look for the book reviews. But to actually read it daily in lieu of the Post or even the Times is just...pretentious. And I engage in a lot of pretentious bullshit so I know what I am talking about, but to make a fashion statement with your source of news? That's weak.

Toad the Wet Sprocket. I've gotten hooked on them lately thinking back to all of those really great and underrated pop songs they wrote. However they are a bit of a guilty pleasure since they are only about one Psalm short of being a Christian Rock band. In fact, one of my favorite songs of theirs, "Little Heaven", is entirely about the rapture. And not in a good* way.

good [nounjective] - anything bent such that it lay within the positive spectrum of my worldview

I feel really dumb listening to this song about slavation and all that nonsense but the hooks are so damn good. I guess that's why I give them a pass; they're not bad* like all Chrisitan Rock is.

bad [nounjective] - anything bent such that it lay within the negative specturm of my worldview

More news. At 7am I found myself standing in front of Shell station trying to decide which newspaper to buy, The Denver Post or The Rocky Mountain News. The thought of being seen with the wrong paper when I showed up at work was to much to bear. I could not get a hold of my friend who is a reporter so I called another buddy who is a news junkie and has a brother who used to live in Denver. I figured he was the closest thing to a valid opionion on the state of Denver news, given my circumstances. He thought perhaps that "The Rocky Mountain News is kind of a bullshit paper." Good enough. I settled on the Post and then the machine ate my 50 cents. Sonofabitch.

So yeah, this was an utterly pointless typing exercise...

8 Comments:

At 9/25/2006 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good form* my friend.

form* [nounjective] Anything that bent in such as way as to make me laugh my way off my chair.

 
At 9/25/2006 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps both of those newspapers suck ass and the machine eating your $.50 was just the universe looking out for you? ;-)

 
At 9/26/2006 9:39 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

Good Lord! Toad the Wet Sprocket is a Christian band? That explains so much now. Now I have to go back and listen to the song I remember from high school "All I want is to feel this way." The song must be about Jesus, right?

 
At 9/26/2006 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read ALL newspapers, Washington Post, NY Times, and the Wall Street Journal. I also read the economist. It was embedded in my brain to do so in Grad School. I have been reading the NY times for years, only becuase Thomas Friedman was a writer for them, and I have read almost every book he has written - For school and for leisure.

At least some people read the papers....who cares what your source is as long as you are informed?!

 
At 9/26/2006 1:34 PM, Blogger dara said...

I read both the NYT and the WaPo online, along with the South Florids (f/k/a "Ft. Lauderdale") Sun-Sentinel. Why? Because I live in DC, lived in South Florida for a number of years, and grew up in the NYC metropolitan area and often like the writing in the NYT --especially their book and film reviews.

But mostly it's because I like seeing the different takes on the same stories. (Of course, that's why the Sun-Sentinel is an embarrassment.)

The online thing is because nowadays, I think the actual paper is superfluous. Why kill trees?

Of course, I'm sitting here in a NYC hotel room with a copy of USA Today, which is the WORST PAPER EVER. But it has a very important front page story on what liquids I am now permitted to take in my carry-on bag when I fly home tomorrow, so it's essential reading. Plus, it's not like they need my $.50.

 
At 9/26/2006 3:47 PM, Blogger SAS said...

Oh come on, nothing compares to the arts coverage of the New York Times. And one way or the other, you are getting totally different columnists and editorial board. If that's all it takes to be pretentious, geesh, you must hate most of NW DC.

 
At 9/26/2006 4:48 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Yikes. It seems I hit a nerve with my flippant assessment of the local NYT readership. You see, I have this DC inferiority complex when it comes to New York. Kind of like a Red Sox-Yankees thing. It drives me nuts when I am at a party downtown and all anyone can talk about is their forthcoming trip to Manhattan. "DC is soooo boring." Fuck that. Anyway, I take my ire out on anything.

"All I Want" is absolutley about Jesus. It's as obvious as the volleyball scene in Top Gun.

The Economist is THE best source of news for national and international politics, business, and economics. Of course I would never say that out loud because it sound pretent...oh, read the bit from The Onion and you will know what I mean.

 
At 9/27/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger dara said...

I've reached a conclusion whilst visiting New York for the past couple days -- D.C. is what New York would be if the bars and subway weren't open all night, and the buildings had height restrictions.

The papers are equivalent. I like the WaPo's news coverage better, but the Times's Arts & Leisure stuff is generally better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home