Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Arizona Bay

Two of the best live shows I have ever seen were the two times that I saw Tool during their tour in support of the Lateralus release. As an "indie rock guy" I usually cannot stand arena concerts or elaborate stage shows but this band knows how to do it better than anyone else. For one, their live sound is amazingly precise. I don't know how they do it because at most arena venues the mix is muddled with way too much low end, ringing high ends, and mushy vocals. But at a Tool show the interaction of the four "voices" is very clear. And the stage show is something to behold with Maynard painted up and squirming like Gollum on his own little stage next to the drum riser and the band steadily playing away while the visual focus vacillates between the stage and the video monitors. One of the more exciting moments I recall was when the band was playing "aenema" and was perfectly sync'd with the song's video that was playing on the house monitors. Awesome.

Anyway, I am amped up because I got my tickets for their show at the Verizon Center at the end of the month which means for two hours I get to act like an angry metal kid. It will be good for the soul.

Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home