Thursday, October 19, 2006

Non Sequitur

Sometimes I think about the most random shit before I fall asleep and topics usually involve recall of weird memories from any point in my life that have absolutely nothing to do with the ending day's events. Perhaps it is my unconscious mind doing a bit of housekeeping. Anyway, last night I was laughing in the dark for a good two minutes because for god know's why I was thinking about one of my favorite movie scenes.

I am a huge fan of comedies, especially the dry, dark, and sardonic variety. But one of my favorite comedy moments is so lame and so juvenile that I cannot believe I still think of it regularly. For whatever reason, I fell asleep last night thinking of The Great Muppet Caper. For you philistines out there unfortunate enough to have never seen this masterpiece, the film obviously stars The Muppets but also Charles Grodin as a suave diamond thief. I know, I do not get the Charles Grodin thing either but apparently he was well-regarded in the 70's and 80's. Anyway, Grodin ends up stealing the famed "Baseball Diamond" and framing Miss Piggy for it. She gets thrown in the clink and the Muppet gang plot to break her out -- or maybe try and steal the diamond back; it has been a while.

So, the Muppets are strategizing how to pull of the eponymous caper and Fozzie is running through a checklist of items for which individuals are reponsible. When he gets to "frisbee," that one is Zoot's reponsibility -- as an aside, Zoot was my original insppiration for playing the saxophone which eventually lead to my current rockstardom. Zoot replies that he doesn't know where the frisbee is. When asked if perhaps it is in his "other pants" he replies in his stoned 50's beat-jive manner, "Man, I don't have any other pants!"

That shit kills me every time.

5 Comments:

At 10/19/2006 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally feel you on this one. AFI runs a Jim Henson retrospective every so often since he's a local boy and we will have to keep an eye out for this one. Do you know how disappointed I was when I saw the Hope Diamond because I expected it to be the size of the Fabulous Baseball Diamond???

 
At 10/19/2006 12:57 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

Ah the Muppets. I tend to think of the classic scenes from the muppet show when I think of random funny things. The great muppet caper was pretty awesome, though.

 
At 10/19/2006 2:38 PM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

CLASSIC! GMC is the BEST and its even better watching it as an adult!

Kermit: We've got to catch those thieves red-handed.
Beauregard: What color are their hands now?

HEHEHEHEHE

 
At 10/20/2006 9:04 AM, Blogger wharman said...

GMC is the best. Get some rest.

 
At 10/22/2006 9:18 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Well, I guess underestimated the draw of the Muppet franchise. Excellent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home