Friday, October 06, 2006

With Age Goes Wisdom

I think my father is losing it. My mom called me this morning to tell me, "your father is in the driveway washing his car." If you are in the DC metro area, then you know that it was pissing down rain all morning. Apparently dad thought that since it was raining out it would be a great opportunity for him to throw on his all-weather gear -- which he loves and rarely gets to sport -- head outside, and soap up the car. His logic being that the rain would then rinse everything off and he could therefore squeeze in a quick wash with a modicum of effort.

Of course the rainfall volume diminshed as the morning went on and it was no longer coming down hard enough to sufficiently rinse the sudds off of the vehicle. To which mom added, "So now he's hosing down the car in the rain." And mind you, this is no compact but rather a Dodge Durango. I honestly have zero clue as to the providence of this bizarre notion.

Is this what happens when you get old and approach retirement? You take the day off of work to do crazy shit around the house? God bless him.

Epilogue: This tale was recounted to me by mother who called me from her car because she did not want to be around should the neighbors take note of what appeared to be the gigantic father of the Morton's Salt girl milling about in the rain.

5 Comments:

At 10/06/2006 12:17 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

"Is this what happens when you get old and approach retirement?"
Possibly.

"You take the day off of work to do crazy shit around the house?"

Could be.

But he sounds like an interesting character. More fun than a boring dad.

 
At 10/06/2006 1:45 PM, Blogger Jason said...

He certainly has made things more interesting over the years.

 
At 10/06/2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

The other day apparently my dad yelled at my mom for not watering the plants. (dad)
"you never water the plants!I'm the ONLY one that waters the plants" (mom)"what plants?"
(dad)"the plants in the living room!"
"pause....those plants are PLASTIC!"

He's going to be SO fun when he gets senial (sp?)
oy!

 
At 10/06/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger dara said...

For me, it's the other way around. When I talk to my newly-retired dad, he tattles on my mom.

I also wish that my dad would clean his car. He likes to drive it in the rain, because he thinks it gets clean that way, but really, it just makes the dirt all streaky.

 
At 10/10/2006 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, now--neither one of my parents will rat on the other to us...which is probably just as well. But that is a funny visual, Jason. HAHA. Personally, I look forward to being able to do stuff like that, and have the neighbors think I'm nuts. I think by that time, we will have all earned it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home