Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Poll Tax

Maybe I will vote more often.

My stock argument for not voting is rational abstention; an admittedly ambiguous and near-meaningless term. I often feel unrepresented by the available candidates and as a proponent of limited government living under an enormously bloated State entity, believe that the differences between individuals elected from my district are ultimately a wash when it comes to my day-to-day. This year's Senate race in Virginia has added to my voting malaise where I was presented this morning with a choice between two equally graceless buffoons. What would motivate me to involve myself in a debate where "the lesser of two evils" and "...the devil I know" are apt metaphors? Nothing, so I voted for neither.

Local election are the ones that can have the greatest impact on my life but I live in Arlington County where the issues most often revolve around education and public works. As a childless renter, I don't really have a horse in that race. So I left the bond issues and school superintendent decisions to better motivated and educated voters.

But nonetheless I did go out and vote this morning. I checked one box and one box only. Today I became a One Issue Voter and I felt surprisingly good about it. There is still a little charge that I get from participating in the system -- even if it is flawed -- and wearing my "I Voted In Arlington" sticker today. It was a good morning...I hope my one vote mattered.

3 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 10:29 AM, Blogger dara said...

I wish more news coverage had been devoted to the proposed Marshall-Newman amendment instead of the buffonery of Webb and Allen, since it's such an important issue.

 
At 11/07/2006 12:15 PM, Blogger Jason said...

That's the only ballot item I voted on. It's the only reason I voted at all today...a big fat NO.

 
At 11/07/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger dara said...

Having seen the Arlington ballot up close and personal, I kinda knew what you were talking about. But thanks for clarifying. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home