Monday, February 27, 2006

Old TV

Don Knotts died last Friday. I wouldn't say that I was a big Knotts fan but hed did manage to make me laugh a lot. When I was in elementray school, the local Fox affiliate (channel 5) used to rerun a lot of golden-age television in the mornings. Every summer I would watch hours of that stuff in the mornings before heading out to goof off in the afternoons. The main staples were Lucy, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Andy Griffith. Two episodes of each over the course of three hours...yes, I watched a lot of television.

I'm glad that Fox aired those old shows because I otherwise probably wouldn't have been exposed to them. I don't think I would have made an effort to "seek them out" but the fact that they just happened to be on and I was/am lazy and television-addicted enough to watch them worked out in the end for me. They were good shows and they (Lucy especially) can still make me laugh today.

However to end on a moribund note, I would like to point out that Jack Tripper and Mr. Furley have now passed on to The Great Beyond. Do you think Janet or Chrissy is next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home