Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Where the Gulf Stream Flows

Today at noon I am off on my first trip ever to the beaches of North Carolina. Having grown up in the DC 'burbs, people always look at me funny when I tell them I have never been to the Outter Banks. They pity me for living such a sheltered existence (I guess those backpacking trips in Europe are far too pedestrian for the cultured Carolina beach-dweller). Ironically, my family has been going down there every summer for over 10 years, which is probably why I have never been myself.

It started when I was in high school when my parents thought it would be a great idea to rent a beach house for a week. I thought it was a fantastic idea as well because that meant they would be gone for a week. Explaining to them how important it was that I not miss work so I could build up my savings for when I headed off to college, they opted to leave me home alone for a week to watch the house. And of course I had my friends over every night to get fucked up and still managed to straggled into the 'Buster each day for work. This went on every summer and even when I was old enough to no longer need parental absence in order to drink I still never went. Part of this probably has to do with the fact that my dad is from Hawaii. Having visited the motherland a few times, the prospect of driving 6 hours to frolic in the murky green waters of the mid-Atlantic is a little anticlimactic.

But whatever, today I pop my cherry. The vehicle is loaded up with excess clothing, essential cooking tools (never travel anywhere without a good chef's knife and an 8-quart mixing bowl), 2 cases of watery domestic, acoustic guitar, and a sleeping bag for wherever I happen to pass out. I am looking forward to a very relaxing, good time. And given the current state of my job, I definitely need it. This week is all about zero stress so I am keeping expectations and planning to a minimum. Therefore I am certain only of two things for this trip:
  1. I will not purchase one of those stupid OBX stickers.
  2. I will not fit into the bunkbed to which I have been assigned.

That's right, the three single dudes on the trip are in a little room in the basement with two sets of bunkbeds. I wonder if we have to eat at the kiddie table...

3 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Ryane said...

I feel like you should be listening to that James Taylor song, "Carolina in my Mind". It would make the popping of your vacation cherry that much more poignant...=-)

 
At 8/15/2006 7:00 PM, Blogger dara said...

I've lived in DC for 6 years, and on the east coast my entire life. This is actually the furthest away from a beach that I've ever lived. Yet I've never been to the Outer Banks -- heck, I've never even been to Ocean City.

The closest I've been to the NC beaches was either prepping a witness for trial in Atlantic Beach (the trial was in New Bern) or attending a hearing in Wilmington.

So I'm jealous. Have fun!

 
At 8/15/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger DCVita said...

HAHA! I have actually only been to the outer banks once, and I was not that impressed by it. There is really not that much to do there. I guess it also depends on who you are going and what you are going for. Either way, have a good time! I am jealous you are going to the beach!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home