Thursday, March 22, 2007

Take me out tonight...

...Where there's music and there's people
And they're young and alive

It's usually the shows about which I am most ambivalent that turn out to be surprisingly good. Last night I went to see Pete Yorn for, I don' t know, the fifth time. He is one of my guilty pleasures which means that he is an artist I enjoy but offers me no hipster/indie-rock cred. (The attendant gaggle of drunken meatheads and soho's at his shows is one reason why.)

Anyway, I wasn't really feeling like going out last night and I was gonna blow off the show but I shook the lazy out of my weary bones and shot across the bridge to the 9:30 Club. And I am quite glad that I did. Not only did I have two pleasant encounters with friends whom I was not expecting to see at the show (this is such a small town) but also, Mssr. Yorn played two juicy covers that were likewise unexpected. The first one dovetails nicely with a thread from the previous post about a cover of "Tumbling Dice" I once saw Son Volt perform at the 9:30. Well last night the man and his band broke out "Dead Flowers" which was spot on excellent since he has added a new touring guitarist who also plays the pedal steel. Joe Kennedy's hot licks got lost in the mix but other than that it was sweet.

The second cover I should have expected since he played it the last time he was in town, and seems to always a Smiths tune at his shows -- "Panic" was the norm for a while. So he declares that "this is one of my favorite songs" and jumps right into the choppy-chorded intro for "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out." I was giddy as a school girl...

7 Comments:

At 3/22/2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Red Photography said...

My friends who attended that show gave it satisfactory marks as well. I must admit I'm a bit of a sucker for Strange Condition. But I feel cheesy admitting that.

Do you know if there are still tickets available for Ted Leo?

 
At 3/22/2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Sold out. But....

You know the big bouncer, the one with "all the shit in [his] face?" If you get there early and stand around looking forlorn in front of the "guest list" ticket window on the left, he will often gather up a group of ticket seekers and then release enough tickets for those in need.

I was the beneficiary of this during the last Ted Leo sho at the 9:30 (I think it was that show). When I thanked him and asked how it was tha there were more tix fo ra sold out show he responded, "It's magic. I pull space out of my ass." Good enough.

 
At 3/22/2007 12:47 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Ah, I like Pete Yorn-- I don't care if he's mainstream. His songs are just damn catchy (well, and he's also kind of pretty). :) Glad the show was good!

 
At 3/22/2007 1:22 PM, Blogger DCVita said...

I seriously don't understand why almost every time the man is in town, I have something going on. I wanted to go to the show so badly! I mean really, I am in love with him.

Oh well, I am glad you enjoyed it!!

 
At 3/22/2007 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 things.

1) Just admin that you go to see Mssr. Yorn for the chicks that flock in. (Most of which are getting a bit to young for your 30 years.... )

2) I could explain where tickets to "sold out" shows come from but it would bore you. Suffice to say that you have (insert you favorite ticket pimping service name here) to thank/blame for it. They buy in blocks and then return them to the clubs control at various dates and time depending on supply/access. I once got tickets to a "sold out" show by standing at the ticket window, three hours before the show, for 5 minutes after being told there where no tickets and poof there were more tickets available.

 
At 3/22/2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Yes, he is a very pretty man.

Make time. Make. Time.

So maybe there are a lot of young girls at these shows who drink too much and jiggle their goods in front of me. I am OK with that.

 
At 3/26/2007 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love him.

I remember a year where every film I saw had a Pete Yorn song on its soundtrack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home