Monday, March 19, 2007

Welcome to the Sexy Years

As of March 19th 2007, this compilation is thirty years in the making. I did not make mix tapes during my awkward teenage years but since it has become retroactively cool to have done so, I am rather desperately jumping on the bandwagon well behind schedule. However unlike most mix tapes where the editor attempts to convey some sentiment via the art of others more gifted than he, usually unrequited infatuation, I am simply trying to score the film that is my life at 30. Some of the songs do have themes to which I am particularly sympathetic at this milestone, but the only real aspiration I have for this endeavor is that I end up with a setlist that still rocks well after my thirties.

Bu before we count it off and kick it in, I want to emphasize that this is me at 30 as opposed to up to and including. This will help to explain such omissions as Crystal Gayle, most of Poison’s back catalog, anything form my college tape-trading days, and a few others from times gone by that would probably make me seem less cool than I like to think I now am. Like I said, I want this thing to age well. So what I have ended up with, hopefully, is something that for everyone I give this to will be a little reminder of me…and possibly the best fucking mix ever. Enjoy. I leave you with the following stolen pearl of wisdom, heed it well:

“This music has been mixed to be played loud, so turn it up.”
- The Cure, Disintegration liner notes

1. "Pounding" - Doves
2. "Tumbling Dice" - The Rolling Stones
3. "Lit Up" - The National
4. "Shut Us Down" - Camper Van Beethoven
5. "Always In Love" - Wilco
6. "Sting Me" - The Black Crowes
7. "I Am A Tree" - Guided By Voices
8. "Song Remains The Same" - Led Zeppelin
9. "Walking To Do" - Ted Leo + Pharmacists
10. "Talk Of The Town" - Pretenders
11. "Bones" - Radiohead
12. "Stereo" - Pavement
13. "Money City Maniacs" [live] - Sloan
14. "This Boy Is Exhausted" - Wrens
15. "You've Got To Pay" - The Bigger Lovers

10 Comments:

At 3/19/2007 9:40 AM, Blogger Carrie M said...

happy birthday! welcome to the club.

as i am tragically unhip music-wise, i only know a handful of songs on there but you've included two of my favorite bands ever (radiohead and zepplin), so it must be good.

 
At 3/19/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Thanks a lot.

What I hope happened with this particular mix is that anyone, regardless of his or her musical leanings, could get into at least 10 of the tracks.

 
At 3/19/2007 10:32 AM, Blogger DCVita said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (my email was before I saw your post :P )

SO what did you do?!

 
At 3/20/2007 11:22 AM, Blogger Red Photography said...

Nice work. I've been rather mix-obsessed myself recently. And welcome to 30. It's just like your 20's only with a lower alcohol tolerance and hopefully better judgement.

 
At 3/20/2007 11:50 AM, Blogger m.a. said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 3/20/2007 9:42 PM, Blogger Ryane said...

Tumbling Dice...nice one.

Happy 30's...they are the best. ;-)

 
At 3/21/2007 7:26 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.

So here's an obsessively geeky anecdote. One of my favorite shows I have been to was Son Volt at the 9:30 Club after Wide Swing Tremelo had been released. During the encore they brought the opening act on stage for a pretty badass jam of "Tumbling Dice." Awesome.

 
At 3/21/2007 5:17 PM, Blogger m.a. said...

I was at that show! I wonder if we've met before...

 
At 3/21/2007 7:47 PM, Blogger Ryane said...

Jason, I have no idea who any of those bands are you referenced, but any band that pulls off an impromptu version of any Rolling Stones song pretty much kicks ass.

 
At 3/21/2007 8:01 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I was the one spastically jumping up and down and singing when they broke into "Chickamanga." I may have also been obnoxiously screaming for "Factory Belt" during most of the show.

"Tumbling Dice" was way cool. The opening band with whom Son volt jammed was The Continental Drifters fetauring Vicki Peterson of Bangles fame. That's about all you need to know about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home