Monday, November 05, 2007

The Hater

During my usual check-in with the 9:30 Club's homepage, this little nugget caught my eye:

Jonathan Davis of Korn doing a Unique Acoustic Performance
w/ Godhead
MON. NOV. 19
$35.00

Things that make you go, hmm. Unique is certainly one way to put it but I think that tragi-comic might be the more accurate term to best adjectively describe such an event. Granted, my opinion is hardly objective since I believe Korn to be one of the most useless and a-musical pieces of sludge to litter the airwaves but I do recognize that the band's "music" provided a certain visceral charge for its listener base. In fact, I will recognize that as Korn's only redeeming quality as an entertainment act.

So when you strip away all of the 7-string guitar droning, the dangling atonal bass strings, and the thrashing drum beats, what exactly are you left with?

The raw central essence, the elusive double-helix, the primordial ooze from whence rap-metal came? I doubt it.

A unique acoustic performance? Technically, maybe.

Something gone horribly awry? Yeah, I think so.

4 Comments:

At 11/05/2007 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what's up with Hawthorne Heights (930, Nov. 24) having 4 openers? A band that's best known for inserting pained screams in what would otherwise be forgettable emo-pop (see Exhibit 1, Niki FM) deserves so many openers to rile the crowd?

 
At 11/05/2007 4:46 PM, Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Oh shoot, November 19th? That's the same night as "Scott Stapp Sings Die Fledermaus." Why must all the great concerts happen at the same time?

 
At 11/06/2007 8:17 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I think I have reached the top of the blogging mountain. Korn, Hawthorne Heights, and Scott Stapp all in one post? I bet Al Gore regrets inventing the interweb everyday.

 
At 11/06/2007 12:33 PM, Blogger Ryane said...

EW. Acoustic Korn? That HAD to be a bet that someone lost...in a very bad, bad way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home