Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Big Shoulders

I feel like I'm still putting the pieces back together after an epic conquering of the Midwest. This has been one of my roughest years yet on the wedding circuit and we're not even halfway through it. All I can think of is Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson's exchange on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Wedding Crashers:

"'Someday you'll look back on all this and laugh, say we were young and stupid."
"We're not that young."

I was on a bachelor party with 12 married guys plus the bachelor; 13 people who insisted on living vicariously through me. When you're in your 30's, your 20's seem farther away than any other point in your life. I guess if you're married with kids AND in your 30's, that distance is even greater. I'm 32, single, living the selfish life (when I'm not working) and it's pretty damn fun. I can see how this appeals to someone who has only recently left that kind of lifestyle behind. And I can understand the desire to snatch a bit of it back by seeing your buddy act like the younger dumber version of yourself. But man it takes a toll.

Having served this past weekend as a rear view mirror reflecting the simpler, carefree days of our now expired youth, it was a blast. It was some of the most fun I have ever had and I am blessed to have been doing it with my boys. Though as the last citizen of Never Never Land I don't think I can keep it up much longer. While everyone went home to their wives and kids I returned to my apartment, my shrine to adolescence, to finalize travel arrangements for the 3 other bachelor parties and 4 other weddings I will be attending this year. I'm a little exhausted just thinking about it.

Anyway, I'm prattling on about this in order to reach some kind of existential revelation. I woke up this morning, took a look in that aforementioned mirror, thought about this past trip to Chicago and came to a few decisions:

1) I don't need to drink quite so much.
2) I need to workout more than 3 times a week.
3) It's time to get off the wedding circuit.
4) I think it's time to settle down.

A few other Chicago-specific notes:

1) Wrigley Field is one of the greatest places on Earth. I almost cried when our trained pulled into the Addison Street station.
2) While I don't miss Midwestern winters, I do miss the friendly people.
3) I like nice girls. The crazy, freaky ones have their appeal but a nice girl will win my attention every time.

3 Comments:

At 7/18/2009 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun. Having been on the bridal circuit, divorce circuit and 2nd marriage circuit for many of my friends here in DC, relish every minute, just like you're doing. The divorce and 2nd marriage part is NOT as fun, trust me. Enjoy yourself!

 
At 10/30/2009 5:00 AM, Anonymous new hidden object game said...

Haha that was a fun post!

 
At 4/25/2010 10:33 AM, Blogger MIKE said...

We would like to do an interview with you

about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind

the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your

time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your
interview
.

Best regards,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home